Student Summary: During week 2 we had a guess speaker Thomas from studio Talo who discussed the design process with us. He explained to us that the design process is like a spiral, not a straight line. So we had to come up with a list of design criteria that each of those designs must satisfy. After that we began to work on two new design schemes in which we had to split up in two groups, a design team and a build team. One scheme was the idea of a pair of hands holding a block. The hands would represent the community and the block would represent the actual blocks in the west Humboldt park community. This idea was taken from what some of the residents of that area had said. They said that the blocks were what made the community and the people in the community all try to work together to make them better. The second scheme was the idea of a body walking through this wall. It would give the effect of someone entering or exiting the community. This allowed us to speed up the process in which we were and get feedback from both teams that would help us all rise to one decision. And with that, we were able to make scale models, final sketches, and sketch-up models.
– Thomas from Studio Talo came in to discuss the design process.
– many different creative styles of designing
– the design process is like a spiral, not a straight line
– split up into design team and build team
– began work on two new design schemes
– came up with a list of design criteria that each of those designs must satisfy
– Discuss the steps of the design process:
pre-design/criteria design- brainstorming, charrette, site visit
concept design/schematic- first generation of design ideas
design development think about money, time, construction detail, materials
construction documents all necessary drawings to get the job done, permit
purchasing-getting all the materials, best prices
– Made scale models, sketches, sketch-up models